20 C + M + B 18
May Christ bless this House…
All who dwell and pray in it…
And All Whom they Welcome in His Name
BLESSING OF A HOME AT EPIPHANY
Saturday, January 6. A.D. 2018 Traditional
Sunday, January 7. A.D. 2018 New
Epiphany, the 12th day after Christmas, celebrates the visit of the three kings or wise men to the Christ Child, signifying the extension of salvation to the Gentiles.
- On entering the house the Magi found the child Jesus with Mary his mother.
- They did him homage and presented to Jesus symbolic gifts: gold to the great king, incense to the true God, and myrrh as a foreshadowing of his suffering and death.
Let us pray,
God, our Father, by the guidance of a star, you revealed your only Son as the Savior of all nations.
Grant that we who already know you by faith, may be brought to the contemplation of your glory in our heavenly home. We ask this through Christ your Son Our Lord. Amen.
All may recite the Canticle of the Blessed Virgin Mary (The MAGNIFICAT) by which Mary praised God at the time of her Visitation to the house of Elizabeth.( Luke 1:46-55.)
- V. Be enlightened, O Jerusalem, and shine forth for your light has come.
- R. And upon you is risen the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ born of the Virgin Mary.
- All nations shall walk in your light and kings in the splendor of your birth.
- And upon you is risen the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ born of the Virgin Mary.
Reading of the Gospel for the Solemnity of the Epiphany of Our Lord. (Matthew 2:1–12)
- Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, has appeared and been revealed to the nations.
- The prophets foretold his coming, and the angels and shepherds adored him.
- The Magi rejoiced to find him and they lay their treasures before him.
- All you nations and peoples, come and adore him.
All recite the OUR FATHER as the rooms of the house are sprinkled with holy water.
Let us pray.
Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation. Through your goodness we have received all benefits.
Come, visit and bless + this house so that it may be a shelter of health, chastity, self-conquest, humility, goodness, mildness, obedience to the Commandments, – and thanksgiving to God, – The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.
May the love and blessings of God, + The Father, and + The Son, and + The Holy Spirit, descend
upon this house, all those who reside within it, and upon all those whom they welcome in the Name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. And may God’s grace and peace remain with all of them forever. Amen.
The initials of the names ascribed by tradition to the Magi (Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar), and the numerals of the current year are written with the blessed chalk upon the entry doors of the house in the following manner:
20 C + M + B 18
Some interpret the letters to stand for
Christus Mansioni Benedicat!
May Christ bless this house!