A plenary indulgence will be obtained if visiting a cemetery November 1 thru 8 but a partial indulgence will occur if the following is done:
1. Visit a Catholic Cemetery November 1 thru 8
2. Pray for one person per day applicable only to the souls in purgatory.
3. Pray verbally or mentally for a specific soul (a spouse, family member, friend, religious, or a soul who does not have anyone to pray for them.)
4. Pray the Eternal Rest Requiem and also but not required an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and the Apostles Creed.
The Eternal Rest Requiem:
Eternal Rest grant unto them, O Lord. And let the perpetual light shine upon them. And may the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God, Rest In Peace. Amen.
(Pray this Prayer all year long not just in November and particularly when you pass by a cemetery. After these souls in purgatory are in Heaven, they will intercede for us.)
5. Optional: Sprinkle the grave with Holy Water if you are at the specific person’s grave you are praying for.